Santa Ana, CA asked in Traffic Tickets for California

Q: I live in San Diego and I received a parking ticket for habitation. I don't live in my car, how do I fight this ticket?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To challenge a parking ticket for habitation in San Diego, start by gathering evidence that shows you do not live in your car. This evidence could include a lease agreement, utility bills, or a driver's license with your residential address. Such documents can help establish that you have a permanent residence elsewhere.

Next, you will need to follow the instructions on the ticket for contesting it. This usually involves submitting a written dispute or requesting an administrative hearing. Be sure to adhere to the deadlines mentioned on the ticket; failing to meet these deadlines can result in losing the opportunity to contest the charge.

In your written dispute or at the hearing, present your evidence clearly and concisely. Explain that the ticket was issued in error and provide your supporting documents. It can also be helpful to include any relevant details about the circumstances when you received the ticket, such as why you were parked in that location.

Remember, the key to successfully contesting the ticket is providing clear and convincing evidence that you do not use your vehicle for habitation. If the process seems overwhelming or confusing, consider seeking guidance from a legal professional who is familiar with traffic and parking laws in San Diego.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.