Mobile, AL asked in Adoption and Family Law for Alabama

Q: Can my husband adopt my two year old son if the father is not listed on the birth certificate and has never been involve

Just for clarification the father has not been involved at all and has never provided any financial support for my son he is also not listed on the birth certificate.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Don Oliver Keene
Don Oliver Keene
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Dothan, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: So, birth certificates really do not matter as much as most people think they do. If you know the father and he has never been involved in your son's life, then you and your husband could potentially do a joint petition (which means you are a co-petitioner with your husband) for the adoption. This shows the court that you the mother consent to the adoption. Then you could approach the father and have him waive his rights to your son and consent to the adoption. However, if he refuses to waive his rights and consent to the adoption this could turn into a long process of litigation as you will have to get the court to terminate the fathers' rights. Potentially, if he has never paid child support that may be an option to encourage him to waive as he could potentially be liable for back child support. Of course, this all depends on the facts of your case, and you should absolutely seek a local family law attorney in your county to handle this. Seek someone who regularly handles adoptions to help you with this process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.