Bradenton, FL asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Civil Rights for Florida

Q: My mom won’t end charges on my bf since but I want to end them, I’m 17 I need consent frm parents, anyway around it?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Florida, if you are under 18, your ability to influence criminal charges, especially those filed by someone else, like your mother, is limited. Since you're 17, you're considered a minor, and typically, the decision to pursue or drop charges in a criminal case is up to the prosecutor, not the victim or the victim's family.

If your mother initiated the charges and now wishes to withdraw them, she may express her desire to the prosecutor. However, the prosecutor has the discretion to continue with the case, even against her wishes, if they believe it serves the public interest.

You can express your feelings to the prosecutor, but as a minor, your input might not carry as much weight as an adult's. It's important to communicate your perspective clearly and respectfully.

If the situation is complex or if you're unsure how to proceed, it might be helpful for you and your mother to seek legal advice. An attorney can provide guidance based on the specifics of your case and the laws in Florida.

Remember, criminal proceedings can be complicated, and the outcome isn't always determined solely by the wishes of the people directly involved. It's important to understand and respect the legal process while ensuring that your voice is heard.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.