Hilton, NY asked in Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: NYS- How do I get these tickets dismissed? I recieved two traffic tickets for failure to notify DMV of address change.

I recieved two traffic tickets for failure to notify the DMV of change of address for my license and registration. My registration was a current mailing address, but it was a PO Box, not my residential address. I have since updated both to my proper residential address. However, I went to the court date and the judge rescheduled my case for another day when the DA will be there. I thought if I provided documentation he would dismiss it. I don't have money for the fees that might come with all of this. I've called and requested information on a possible payment plan if need be, but haven't heard back. What could this even be lessened to?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In New York State, handling traffic tickets for failure to notify the DMV of an address change can be managed by taking a few steps. Firstly, it's positive that you've already updated your address with the DMV. You should bring proof of this update, such as confirmation from the DMV, to your next court date. This demonstrates your compliance and may help your case.

During your court appearance, explain your situation to the judge and the District Attorney (DA). Show them the evidence that you've corrected your address. Sometimes, showing that you've rectified the situation can lead to leniency or even dismissal of the charges, though this is not guaranteed.

If dismissal isn't possible, you can discuss with the DA the possibility of reducing the charges or penalties. Be open about your financial situation and inquire about the possibility of a payment plan for any fines that might be imposed.

Keep in mind that communication is key in these situations. Stay in contact with the court and the DA’s office. If you’re unable to afford the fees, be upfront about it. They may be able to offer solutions or alternatives.

If you find the process overwhelming or confusing, consider seeking legal advice. An attorney can provide guidance specific to your situation, helping you navigate the legal system more effectively. Remember, handling legal matters proactively and responsibly is often looked upon favorably in court.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.