Salinas, CA asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for California

Q: how can an inmate remove an account of arson off of their record, in order to apply to a fire camp

An inmate from Mule Creek State Prison wants to apply for a fire camp in order to reduce their sentence. What are the steps in order to have an arson removed to become elligible

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, an inmate with an arson conviction typically faces significant challenges in having their record cleared for eligibility to apply for a fire camp. Arson is often considered a serious offense, and options for expungement or record sealing are limited.

Firstly, you should review the specifics of the arson conviction. Certain categories, especially those involving willful and malicious intent, may not be eligible for expungement. However, if the conviction is for a lesser form of arson, there may be possibilities for relief.

If expungement is an option, the inmate would need to file a petition for relief in the court where they were convicted. This process usually involves demonstrating rehabilitation and a lack of subsequent offenses. The court's decision will depend on various factors, including the nature of the arson offense and the inmate's behavior since the conviction.

Given the complexity and the specific nature of arson cases, it would be beneficial to seek legal advice to understand the feasibility of this process and to guide you through the steps required. The success of such a petition is not guaranteed and depends heavily on the details of the case and the discretion of the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.