Williamstown, NJ asked in Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: If there was neglect and wrongdoing in a IV-D Enforcement case what r the parents rights since a judgment wasn't paid

The responding state intentionally hid two very large judgements, then satisfied them with no reciept of Satisfaction, then night automatic closure was to begin, so not to be found by the system, along with never registering them credit agency and much more. The initiating state required no documents nor updates from the responding state, but when sending out the notice of closing stated the case had been vacated, this is not what the judge ordered. Then the cases were purged 13 days after satisfying the judgements. What are the parents legal remedies, what actions can they ask for through the departments, and can anyone be held responsible for all this and more? Both cases happen simultaneously and are had FV-INDICATORs on the cases.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In New Jersey, if there has been neglect or wrongdoing in handling a IV-D Enforcement case related to child support, it's important to understand your rights and the potential remedies available. IV-D cases, part of the federal child support program, are subject to both state and federal regulations. If judgments were mishandled or improperly reported, this could constitute a significant issue.

First, consider filing a complaint with the state's child support agency overseeing the case. This can initiate an internal review of the handling of your case. Documenting all discrepancies and any evidence of mismanagement is crucial in this process.

You also have the option to seek legal redress through the courts. If judgments were not properly satisfied or reported, a court could potentially rectify these errors. This might include reissuing or properly documenting the judgments.

Additionally, if there's evidence of legal malpractice or misconduct by any of the professionals involved, you can file a complaint with the state bar association. This is particularly relevant if an attorney involved in your case acted improperly.

Finally, consider consulting with a lawyer who has experience in child support and family law. They can offer more personalized advice and help navigate the complexities of your situation, including any potential actions against those responsible for the mishandling of your case. Legal professionals can guide you through the process of ensuring that your rights are protected and that any errors are corrected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.