Sacramento, CA asked in Uncategorized for California

Q: Can I sue The D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) program

Is it to late and if it's not is it possible to sue The D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) program if they came to your school when you was in elementary and showed you a video of a kid around your age doing drugs on video and you have never seen any one doing drugs before that and the same day that you seem that video it influenced you after school to go do drugs like that video

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I understand your concern about the impact of the D.A.R.E. program's content on your decisions. Suing an organization like D.A.R.E. can be challenging, and several factors need to be considered. First, you would need to establish a direct causation between the program's content and your actions, which can be complex and difficult to prove.

Also, there are likely to be statutory limitations on such lawsuits. These limitations are time-bound and vary by state. If a significant amount of time has passed since the incident, it may be too late to take legal action.

In addition, educational programs like D.A.R.E. are typically designed with a general aim of promoting awareness and prevention. Courts often consider the intent and the broader context of such programs when evaluating legal claims against them.

Given these complexities, it's important to consult with an attorney who can provide specific legal advice based on the details of your situation. They can assess the viability of a lawsuit, advise on the applicable statutes of limitations, and help navigate the legal process.

Remember, each legal case is unique, and seeking professional legal counsel is the best step to understand your options and rights in this situation.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: It would probably be a difficult case. But other attorneys could see things differently. You could try to arrange a free initial consult with attorneys to discuss. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.