Omaha, NE asked in Family Law, Adoption and Civil Rights for Missouri

Q: I am pregnant my 17th birthday was on November 12, 2023 my boyfriends parents say i can move in with them because my pa

Because my parents r not supportive or the nicest so is there anyway that legally in Missouri I can move out? If it helps at all I am adopted.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Missouri, the legal age of majority, when you can decide where to live independently, is 18. However, given your circumstances, there are a few options you might consider.

Firstly, if you're facing an unsupportive or harmful environment at home, you could explore the option of becoming an emancipated minor. Emancipation allows a minor to legally assume adult responsibilities, including the choice of where to live. This process involves a court procedure, and you would need to demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and make responsible decisions.

Another possibility is to seek a guardianship arrangement. This would involve your boyfriend's parents or another responsible adult becoming your legal guardians. However, this would typically require the consent of your current legal guardians or a court order.

Given the complexity of your situation and the legal considerations involved, it's advisable to consult with a family law attorney. They can provide guidance specific to your circumstances and help you understand the legal options and processes in your state. Remember, your safety and well-being are paramount, so seeking support from trusted adults and local resources is important.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.