Los Angeles, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Past Due Rent Forgiveness In Return for Voluntary Termination of Tenancy

My tenant has not paid rent for 3 months. Rent is $2356 and due on the 1st of each month. Total rent past due is $7068. One of the rent non-payment months is claimed by tenant as being due to COVID-19 related hardship. The property is in Los Angeles County and is subject to the Rent Stabilization Ordinance.

In an effort to resolve this amicably and to avoid eviction proceedings, I would like to offer the tenant rent forgiveness for COVID-19 related non-payment, and an additional 50% rent forgiveness for another month, if the tenant is willing to voluntarily vacate the premises and end tenancy by December 31, 2023. Is this lawful, or will this be construed as coercion?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, negotiating with a tenant for voluntary termination of tenancy in exchange for rent forgiveness is typically legal, provided it's done in good faith and without coercion. Your proposal to forgive some of the back rent in exchange for the tenant vacating the property is a form of negotiation that landlords often use to avoid the lengthy and costly eviction process.

However, given that the property is in Los Angeles County and subject to the Rent Stabilization Ordinance, you should be aware of specific rules and regulations regarding tenant evictions and rights. It's important to ensure that any agreement you reach with your tenant does not violate these regulations. For instance, certain COVID-19 related tenant protections might apply, affecting your ability to negotiate terms based on rent non-payment due to COVID-19 hardships.

You should also be cautious to avoid any action that could be construed as coercion or harassment. This means clearly communicating that the offer is voluntary and that the tenant has the option to decline and remain in the property. The agreement should be made in writing, clearly stating the terms, to protect both parties and provide a clear record of the agreement.

Given the complexity of the situation, particularly with the COVID-19 related hardships and rent stabilization laws, it might be prudent to seek legal advice to ensure that your offer complies with all applicable laws and regulations. This step can also help in structuring the agreement in a way that is fair and legally sound.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.