Denton, NE asked in Family Law and Probate for Nebraska

Q: What can you do if a grandchild who was not named in a will takes things from a deceased person's house and won't return

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: The Executor has standing to file suit for conversion. A criminal complaint might also be made first.

Julie Fowler agrees with this answer

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: I agree with the other attorney. You can call the non-emergency law enforcement phone number and make a police report if you believe a crime has occurred. You can also speak with the executor of the estate and they can file a motion within the probate case to ask the Court to enter an order against the person to return the item(s).

If this is a family member, you may want to try to talk with them first. You can create hard feelings for a long time if they are charged with a crime due to the report.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.