Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nebraska Probate Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nebraska on
Q: In Nebraska my dad died and left money to my brother my mom and myself my mom was put in a nursing home and has now died

My brother and I are listed as beneficiaries do we have to go through the whole process again of inheritance tax on bank accounts, life insurance and dads retirement left to my mom.

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Mar 16, 2020

It isn't clear from your question the time frame of the events you describe. Generally you have to go through the same process each time you receive an inheritance but this may not be the case depending on the timing and the specific facts of your case.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Nebraska on
Q: Nebraska Revised Statute 43-293.

The Statute states An order terminating the parent-juvenile relationship shall divest the parent and juvenile of all legal rights, privileges, duties, and obligations with respect to each other and the parents shall have no rights of inheritance with respect to such juvenile

Does this mean... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Dec 30, 2019

If a parent's parental rights are terminated, it generally ends the legal relationship. Thus, the statutes of inheritance among parent-child are also generally severed. Thus, if the parent dies without a will, then the child isn't likely to inherit as a "child" of the parent since the legal... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Nebraska on
Q: i bought a new house . its all paid n free n clear.. my question is i havent made a change in my will yet .

my will has my previous property listed..

what happens if i die and havent listed this house in my will

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Nov 26, 2019

The new house would pass according to the residuary clause in your will.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nebraska on
Q: I was informed when my father passed 2 plus years ago that me and my 2 siblings were to get part of his Inheritance

My aunt is the executor of my grandfathers will. My father never created a will before passing and was married to his 3rd wife out of Texas at the time of his death. He was to gain an inheritance from his father divided by 4 Of his siblings. Everyone has received their inheritance, including the... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jun 18, 2018

You could start by contacting the clerk of the probate court of where your father deceased to see if there is a probate court case number under his name and date of death.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.