Rancho Palos Verdes, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Do I have any protection as a disabled veteran since having another entity pay my rent

Of the papers it says that they did not know of anybody paying my rent and outside body I think it's called yet they've been receiving rent from them for quite a while. I get the communication with my landlords and letting them know what's going on with them as much as I do know, but they still serve the papers. Ssvf has been paying my rent partially and in full for quite a while now. Because of my disabilities which I am currently trying to upgrade. I have not been able to work.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, as a disabled veteran receiving rent assistance through a program like Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF), you do have certain protections, especially if your landlord has been receiving payments from this program on your behalf.

First, ensure that all rent payments made by SSVF on your behalf are documented. If there is a dispute about rent payment, these records can be crucial in proving that payments have been made.

Communicate with your landlord in writing about the arrangement with SSVF. Include details about the payments and any agreements made. If you've already done this and the landlord is still taking action against you, keep a record of all communications as evidence of your efforts to resolve the issue.

If you're facing eviction or other legal actions despite SSVF paying your rent, California law may offer you additional protections as a tenant and as a disabled individual. These protections can include the right to reasonable accommodation for your disability and protection against wrongful eviction.

Given the complexity of your situation, it may be beneficial to seek legal advice. There are legal aid organizations and veteran advocacy groups in California that can provide assistance to disabled veterans facing housing issues.

Remember, maintaining clear communication with your landlord and keeping thorough records are key. If legal action becomes necessary, these records will be invaluable in protecting your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.