Torrance, CA asked in Traffic Tickets for California

Q: im going to court for a traffic ticket for driving without a license and my dad told me to plead no contest is he right?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, pleading "no contest" to a traffic ticket for driving without a license means you do not dispute the charge, but you also do not admit guilt. This plea is similar to pleading guilty in terms of the consequences, but it cannot be used as an admission of guilt in any other legal proceeding.

Before deciding to plead no contest, it's important to consider the specific circumstances of your case and the potential penalties. Driving without a license can result in fines, and in some cases, may have more serious consequences, especially if there are other factors involved, like prior offenses.

If you are unsure about how to plead, you may want to consult with a lawyer who can provide guidance based on the details of your situation. A lawyer can advise you on the best course of action, considering the potential penalties and the strength of the evidence against you.

Remember, each case is unique, and the decision on how to plead should be made after carefully considering all the factors involved. Seeking legal advice can help ensure that you make an informed decision.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.