Orlando, FL asked in Family Law, Personal Injury and Domestic Violence for Florida

Q: Is there a way to sue my parents, as well as my mother's second ex husband, for damages from abuse?

I was abused as a child by my parents, and especially my mother and my now ex stepfather physically which included, but not limited to, traumatic brain injuries as well as being punished for exposing their affair to my father, who in turn decided to punish me for being an unwilling participant. One of the TBIs resulted from being forcefully dropped on my head, which I still have a spot in the back of my head which annoys me thirty years later, which was covered up by my grandmother and mother. I'm currently in therapy for this, among other things and I really need help paying for that, a neurologist, as well as seeking damages from physical punishment, emotional abuse and neglect, as well as kidnapping, fraud, and attempted murder. There's a lot to unpack, unfortunately. I'm tired of struggling with this throughout my life and I'm done protecting people that don't need it. I am also at this point where my silence can be bought now.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Sorry to hear about your terrible ordeal. Your description seems to indicate that all wrongdoing occurred a few decades ago. There is a high probability that a lawsuit for money damages due to such wrongdoing would be barred by the statute of limitations (assuming that would be raised as a defense). However, for any limitations issue in any type of case or potential case, never rely on any online commentary. You must consult an attorney who will look up the applicable limitations laws in order to provide a professional, reliable opinion. (Online forums cannot provide legal advice specific to your matter, but rather only provide general educational info.) If, hypothetically, you have any potential claims that would not be barred by the statute of limitations, such a lawsuit would be probably be very expensive, running into many thousands of dollars in fees and costs, and with any suits against uninsured individuals, collectibility of any money judgment is often a potential problem. Regarding potential criminal charges, the limitations period has likely expired for those as well, but that would be a matter for the State Attorney's Office, or a criminal defense attorney could advise as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.