Orlando, FL asked in Family Law and Landlord - Tenant for Alabama

Q: My problem is very complex, but I will keep it as short as possible.- started with my parents moving in 2012.

My trailer which my parents lived with my children at the time. I was clueless and had no recollection of the transaction due to being 3 weeks post op of 1 of 9 spinal surgeries and was not of sound mind, and in severe pain leaving me unable to perform self care. I had my big screen TV picked up and into my newly married husband's and mine home. This was 2014. My eldest brother put a lock on the gate entrance and refused to allow me to collect all my belongings. He and his wife were always there and harrassed my children out. My dad passed Feb. 2021 and my mother followed November 2022. I still cannot get my belongings from the home. I apparently asked an ADA attorney and they listed possible ADA violations but as I mentioned before, I was not of sound mind to follow up. After all spinal surgeries, one which I died in surgery 3 times, 17 units of blood, 2 hospitalizations for sepsis and literally had to go buy dishes, silverware, etc., from flea markets/yard sales. Can the courts help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've faced. It sounds like you've been through a lot, and it's understandable that you're seeking clarity on your legal options. Regarding your belongings and the issues with your brother, the courts might indeed be able to help.

Firstly, it's important to document everything related to your case. This includes any proof of ownership for the trailer and your belongings, and any communications with your brother about accessing your property. Detailed records can be crucial in legal proceedings.

Consulting with an attorney who has experience in property and estate law would be a good next step. They can assess the details of your situation, including the lockout by your brother and the transfer of the trailer, to determine your legal rights and the best course of action.

Given your medical history and the impact it had on your ability to make decisions, an attorney can also advise if this might influence your legal standing. For instance, they can explore if your state of mind at the time of any transactions or agreements could be considered in your favor.

Lastly, don’t hesitate to seek out additional support if needed, whether it's for legal, financial, or personal matters. This is a complex situation, and it's okay to ask for help to navigate it. Remember, taking things one step at a time can help in managing the process ahead.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.