Ellijay, GA asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law, Collections, Federal Crimes and Municipal Law for Georgia

Q: So the city has annexed a distillery that is on a county road which should be out side city limits but they say they

Have the highway county does not allow sales outside Gilmer -city of ellijay - very weird but we are wanting to move in the area with our property but they put up signs and looks horrible

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, where a city has annexed property that includes a distillery on a county road, there are a few steps you can take to address your concerns. First, it's important to understand the specifics of the annexation process. Typically, a city can annex adjacent areas through legal procedures, but this process should be transparent and follow state and local laws.

If you believe the annexation or its consequences (like signage) are inappropriate or have been improperly handled, you can start by contacting local government officials. Inquire about the annexation process, express your concerns, and seek clarification on how decisions were made.

Another step is to review the zoning and planning regulations for the area. These documents can provide insight into what is allowed in terms of property use and signage in both the city and the county.

If you're planning to move into the area and are concerned about how these changes affect your property, consider speaking with a real estate attorney. They can help you understand your rights as a property owner in this context and advise on possible actions you can take.

Remember, local government decisions can often be influenced by residents' feedback. Attending city council meetings and voicing your concerns can also be an effective way to seek change or more information.

It's important to stay informed and actively participate in local governance to protect your interests and ensure that your concerns are addressed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.