Victorville, CA asked in Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for California

Q: I have an issue where a dentist has pulled the wrong tooth leaving me unable to chew on one side of my mouth for 4 weeks

The dentist lied and said the tooth cracked while putting the right tooth not knowing that his assistant had already given me the tooth in question. It’s not broken or cracked in any way. I also had temporary dentures made that would allow me to chew on that side until the wounds heal, but they are now of no use. I have to wait 4 weeks to let the wounds heal before I can be fitted for new dentures leaving me unable to use the left side of my mouth, I’m taking 3-4 pain pills a day and have only be able to eat soup since the 16th of November. No Thanksgiving dinner. Is there any way to get compensation for negligence, pain and suffering in my case?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if a dentist performs a procedure incorrectly, such as extracting the wrong tooth, it may be grounds for a dental malpractice claim. Dental malpractice is a form of professional negligence, and to establish a case, you typically need to prove that the dentist failed to provide the standard of care expected in the profession and that this failure directly caused your injury or harm.

In your situation, the removal of the wrong tooth and the subsequent issues you're facing, such as pain and the inability to eat properly, could potentially be considered as damages in a malpractice claim. Compensation in such cases can include costs for medical treatment, pain and suffering, and any other related expenses.

It's important to gather all relevant documentation, including dental records, evidence of the extracted tooth, and any correspondence with the dentist. Given the complexities involved in proving dental malpractice and the need to understand the specific medical and legal aspects of your case, consulting with an attorney experienced in medical malpractice would be advisable.

An attorney can assess the details of your case, advise on the strength of your claim, and guide you through the process of seeking compensation. They can also help negotiate a settlement or represent you in court if necessary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.