Asked in Banking, Divorce and Family Law for Oregon

Q: In Oregon can I move my paychecks out of our joint account prior to divorce being filed?

I have been separated from my spouse since May 2023. Both our paychecks go into a joint account along with shared bills. Am I allowed to move my paychecks to another account before the finalization of the divorce?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Leskin
Steven Leskin pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: The best way to handle this situation is to discuss with your spouse how you will handle the joint account going forward. Your spouse will want to move his/her payroll deposits as well to an individual account. You should discuss the timing, and how much you will each contribute to the joint account to cover shared expenses until the divorce becomes final. You will also need to discuss how you will split any money remining in the joint account.

If you do not have an agreement, the court may order you to pay your share of the joint expenses later.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.