Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Banking Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Divorce for Oregon on
Q: My wife and I are getting divorced in Oregon. After separating and separate bank accounts, can my wife take my money?

We got the separate accounts and I earned the money from my job after we separated. Is she entitled to the money I earned after we separated? We're still currently married but living in different homes.

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Aug 26, 2019

Under Oregon Law a court can consider all property held by either or both spouses at the time the court is asked to adjudicate the divorce. Unless you had a judgment of legal separation previously rendered by a court, your voluntary separation does not divide your property such that the court... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Consumer Law for Oregon on
Q: I was asked to help a widow if I could help her receive her late husbands funds which are in a bank account in the UK.

In return if I helped her she would pay me 20% of her late husbands funds which is over 2.6 million £ or over $3 million usd. She had her attorney contact me and explained the situation and sent me legal documents and bank statement. Well 3 years later and over $13,000 usd which I've paid in... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 7, 2019

I hope your bank is able to assist you here. As a general matter, exercise caution with offers from parties you do not know who speak of sums of several million dollars, and that involve princes, heiresses, or other exotic beneficiaries. They often involve inquiries about your sensitive banking... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Banking and Business Law for Oregon on
Q: Can I legally use a personal type (non-business) bank account to pay my business bills and make deposits into?

Is there any legal requirements that would prohibit me from using a simple checking account (non business type) for my family farm? I would not use this account for any personal debt or check writing. Simply to track incoming money and pay farm bills.

Daniel DiCicco
Daniel DiCicco answered on Apr 3, 2019

There is no legal requirement per se. Do you have a legal business entity like an LLC? If you do have an LLC then and you have concerns that perhaps one day you could be involved in a law suit, then I would want to keep my personal and business funds separate.

However, if you're just...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon on
Q: I turned in my rent check on october 1st. It has not been cashed yet. Landlord says its banks fault. What should I do?

My landlord says she has the receipt proving my check was accepted by the bank. How long can it take for the bank to resolve this problem? What if weeks/months go by and the check never is cashed? If I write the bank another check are they responsible for the stop payment fee?

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on Nov 13, 2018

Talk to your bank and find out what the problem is and where your check currently is. That knowledge will in turn allow you to fix the problem and go forward.

3 Answers | Asked in Banking and Probate for Oregon on
Q: I filed a small estate affidavit. 4 yrs later I receive an escrow refund check from WF in my deceased husbands name.

Can i cash or deposit check. I still have Mortgage with WF, my husband's name is still the only one on mortgage but I am paying the mortgage WF refuses to change name on mortgage.

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Feb 8, 2018

If you had a joint bank account with your husband the bank MAY allow you to deposit it, but otherwise you need to 'reopen' that probate and add the check into it. PLEASE seek local legal help however, as the process could be something rather simple depending on local practice and requirements.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Bankruptcy for Oregon on
Q: My wife just received a writ of garnishment for her bank accounts. Should we avoid using those accounts till bankruptcy?

We cannot afford bankruptcy at the moment. Would just like to know if we should avoid depositing money into those accounts until we can file?

Cristina M. Lipan
Cristina M. Lipan answered on Dec 6, 2017

A marshal is able to reach any asset (i.e., bank account) that has your wife's name on it (even if it's a joint account).

Information provided for informational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Personal Injury for Oregon on
Q: I had a levy placed on my account by the California Franchise Tax Board on Black Friday because of mistaken identity.

On black Friday the 25th of November 2016 I was informed by my Bank JP Morgan Chase that my account had a levy placed on it by the California Franchise Tax Board. The total amount in my account was placed on hold and still is. In addition to that hold amount, I was charged a $75 legal fee by my... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 29, 2016

First you need to get the paperwork they sent chase. They can't just show up with a levy. Second you need to find out who this board is. I'd also worry the whole thing is a scam, so follow up with JP morgan at a number you get on your statement not on some email.

You want to verify what...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.