San Francisco, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: My rent stabilized apartment is increasing the rent through a 2023-24 BOND MEASURE PASSTHROUGH WORKSHEET- is this allowe

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, the rules regarding rent increases for rent-stabilized apartments can be complex and vary by locality. Generally, landlords are limited in how much they can increase rent annually for these units. However, there are certain conditions under which additional increases may be permitted.

The mention of a "Bond Measure Passthrough Worksheet" suggests that your landlord is seeking to pass through costs associated with a bond measure, likely approved by voters, to tenants. In some jurisdictions in California, landlords are allowed to pass a portion of property-related expenses, such as those from bond measures, to tenants in rent-stabilized units. This is usually done through a formula and may require approval from a local rent control board or similar authority.

It's important to verify the specific rent control regulations in your area, as they can vary significantly from one city or county to another. If you're in doubt about the legality of the rent increase or the process being followed, you might consider contacting your local rent control board or a tenants' rights organization. They can provide guidance and help you understand your rights and options in this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.