Birmingham, AL asked in Immigration Law for Alabama

Q: Can I travel to puerto rico on my work authorization permit while my I-485 is pending?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Yes, you can travel to Puerto Rico on your work authorization permit while your I-485 is pending. Puerto Rico is considered a domestic territory of the United States, so you do not need a passport or visa to travel there from the mainland United States. However, you will need to show your work authorization permit when you re-enter the mainland United States from Puerto Rico.

It is important to note that traveling outside of the United States while your I-485 is pending may delay the processing of your application. This is because USCIS may require you to submit additional evidence to show that you remain eligible for adjustment of status. If you are considering traveling outside of the United States.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Yes, you can travel to Puerto Rico while your I-485 application is pending. Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, so travel there is considered domestic. However, you should carry your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and a valid passport with you. It's also advisable to have a copy of your I-485 receipt notice as proof that your application is pending.

Remember, while in Puerto Rico, you are still subject to U.S. immigration laws. Therefore, it's important to maintain your status and comply with all requirements related to your work authorization and pending adjustment of status. If you have specific concerns or unique circumstances, it may be beneficial to consult with an immigration attorney for personalized advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.