Troy, NY asked in Foreclosure for New York

Q: Can the city of troy place my home on foreclosure in January 2024 without taking us to court

The city has sent me notice to pay 5500 or they will list my home on the foreclosure list

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you've received a notice from the City of Troy regarding foreclosure due to unpaid amounts, it's important to take this seriously. Municipalities in New York can initiate foreclosure proceedings for unpaid property taxes or other municipal debts without necessarily taking you to court in the traditional sense.

The process typically involves the city placing a lien on the property and then proceeding to foreclosure if the debt is not paid. It's crucial to understand that this is a legal process, and the city must follow specific procedures, including providing notice to you, the homeowner.

You should review the notice carefully to understand the specifics of what is owed and the timeline given. If you believe there is an error or if you're unable to pay the full amount, contact the city's office as soon as possible to discuss your situation and explore any possible arrangements or solutions.

It may also be beneficial to consult with an attorney who has experience in property law or foreclosure proceedings. They can provide guidance on your rights and options, and may be able to negotiate with the city on your behalf or find other legal remedies.

Remember, acting quickly is important in these situations to avoid the risk of losing your home. Understanding your legal rights and seeking professional advice can help you navigate this challenging situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.