Brookline, MA asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Massachusetts

Q: I was victimized in a foreign country. 3 years later I was ejected from it. did that stop statute of limitations clock?

I was a university professor in a foreign country. I was the target of several criminal actions and several other possible ones. Two to three years later -- in 2008 -- I was pushed out of the country in a process that might itself have been illegal [I was ejected from a hospital]. It is now 15 years from that point. Would being forced out of the country at that time toll the statute of limitations there [whatever it might be]? I want to be able to bring suit vs those parties now.

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas Shack III
Thomas Shack III pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Whether being forced out of another country would toll the statute of limitations depends on the specific laws of the country/jurisdiction in question. There may be no statute of limitations at all for certain crimes/claims in the other country. If the alleged crimes were committed in the United States, there may be federal or state statutes of limitation for prosecuting a criminal case and/or to file a civil claim. They vary by state for the most part and federal laws typically have their own statutes of limitation as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.