New York, NY asked in Products Liability and Small Claims for New York

Q: What can I say in court if he wants to take it to small claims court.


2 Lawyer Answers
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If someone wants to bring a claim against you in small claims court, one option could be to discuss the person's dispute or dissatisfaction to find out if court could be avoided through negotiation. If the matter has already gone to court, the other option could be to determine if you have any defenses to the claims. Good luck

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you're facing a small claims court case, it's important to prepare your defense thoroughly. Begin by gathering all relevant evidence that supports your side of the story. This can include documents, receipts, contracts, emails, photographs, or any other material that is pertinent to the case.

In court, you should clearly and concisely present your case to the judge. Stick to the facts and avoid unnecessary details or emotional arguments. If you have any legal arguments or precedents that support your position, be sure to mention them.

Be respectful and listen attentively when the other party presents their case or when the judge asks you questions. Always respond truthfully and directly to any questions from the judge.

If there are any witnesses who can support your case, consider bringing them to court or having their written statements if the court allows. Witnesses can provide valuable testimony to bolster your position.

Finally, it's wise to familiarize yourself with the procedures of small claims court in New York. Understanding the process will help you navigate the case more effectively. If you're unsure about any aspect of your case, consulting with an attorney for advice can be beneficial, even though legal representation is not typically required in small claims court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.