Highland, IL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: Hello, my landlord has kicked me out without 30 day noticed and even threatened to kill me.

She has costed me loads of money by doing that, holding everything hostage, even costing me money I could be earning right now as I'm homeless and having to make appointments to find a place to live right now. I am completely broke right now and because of all the damage she has caused me even causing mental distress from how toxic it was there, I want to take her to court for all the financial damage she has caused and even get a restraining order on her for harassing me on the phone and threatening to kill me. Do I have a case here?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Illinois, landlords are required to provide tenants with a proper notice before eviction, typically a 30-day notice for month-to-month tenancies. If your landlord evicted you without this notice and threatened you, this is a serious matter. Your landlord’s actions appear to violate tenant rights and could potentially be grounds for legal action.

The threats to your safety, especially the threat to kill, are particularly concerning. These threats could justify seeking a restraining order. Additionally, if you have suffered financial losses and mental distress due to your landlord's actions, you may have grounds to seek compensation through the courts.

It's crucial to document all incidents, including threats and any financial losses you have incurred. Gathering evidence such as text messages, emails, or witness statements will be important. Given your current situation, you may want to contact a legal aid organization or an attorney who handles tenant rights or civil litigation. They can provide you with specific guidance and representation, especially considering the severity of the threats you've mentioned. Legal aid societies often offer services at a reduced cost or for free to individuals facing financial hardship.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.