Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Alabama

Q: Can I seek legal action against an adult who is helping my minor child skip school and hiding her at her house

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Alabama, if an adult is knowingly contributing to the delinquency of a minor, such as by helping your child skip school, you may have grounds for legal action. This can potentially be considered as contributing to truancy, which is a violation of compulsory education laws.

First, document any evidence you have of this adult's involvement in your child's truancy. This can include any communications, witness statements, or other relevant information. Then, consider reporting this issue to the school authorities and the local police. They can investigate the matter and take appropriate action if laws are being broken.

Additionally, you can consult with an attorney to explore legal options such as filing a civil lawsuit against the adult for any harm caused to your child or for interference with parental rights. An attorney can guide you through the legal process and help you understand the potential outcomes of such action.

Remember, each case is unique, so it's important to get personalized legal advice based on the specific details of your situation. Taking these steps can help ensure the well-being of your child and uphold your rights as a parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.