Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: How can i get another Court appointed attorney if my current attorney won't communicate with me?

My cousin has a court appointed attorney that does not communicate with him or any other member of the family at all. He has been my cousin's court of one of attorney since February of 2023 and my cousin does not feel like his case is getting enough attention. In Texas, is there a way that my cousin can have the court appointed attorney replaced with another attorney that perhaps would pay more attention, or at least answer the phone?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your cousin should file a motion with the court for the appointment of a new lawyer setting forth that the one previously appointed by the court has not communicated with him since being appointed in February 2023, and detailing every attempt your cousin has made to communicate with that lawyer (e.g. I telephone {attorney name} on {date} at approximately {time}, got his/her voicemail, and left a detailed message; however, he/she never returned my call; I sent an email to {attorney name} on {date} at {time}, but never received a reply).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.