Q: What can I do about past judgements that date form late 90's to 2016 in the states of Nebraska and Kansas?

These judgements I never knew existed until I applied for an FHA loan. The oldest released in '98 and only has my SS# on it with my brother's name and his wife. Other judgements I can't make heads and tails out of. Would these fall under statute of limitations and how can I remove them from my public records? Another judgement being from a bank in '99 I had been banking with since '93 to 2010. I recall no issues with them the entire time I banked with them.

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: It depends on what you mean by judgments. Are these court case judgments? If so, you may need to review the court file(s) to see what you could do to challenge them at this time. Are these on your credit report? Sometimes things get improperly reported and you can send in proof to the credit agency to correct your credit report.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.