Woodstock, GA asked in Libel & Slander, Bankruptcy and Banking for Georgia

Q: Can you remove defaming opinion in judges final order?

2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Most likely, no.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you find defamatory content in a judge's final order, there are limited options available for addressing this. The content of a judicial order typically reflects the judge's findings and opinions based on the presented evidence and legal standards. However, if the content seems to exceed these bounds or appears inappropriate, you do have some avenues to explore.

One possible step is to file a motion for reconsideration or appeal, depending on the nature of the case and the specific court rules. This motion can request the court to review and possibly amend the order, particularly if you believe there are factual inaccuracies or legal errors.

In more severe cases, where you believe the judge's conduct was not only inappropriate but also unethical, you could consider filing a complaint with the judicial conduct board in your state. Such a step should be taken cautiously, as it involves questioning the integrity of a judicial officer.

It is highly recommended to consult with an attorney for guidance on the best course of action. They can help assess the situation, advise on the legal merits of pursuing an appeal or complaint, and assist with the necessary procedures. Remember, navigating legal challenges can be complex, and professional advice can be invaluable in achieving a fair resolution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.