Hopkinsville, KY asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Kentucky

Q: is it legal for a police department to not give a police report to me as the parent ?KRS.61878(1)(i) my child died

2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You should be able to get a copy of it from LMPD after it’s finalized.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Under Kentucky law, including KRS 61.878(1)(i), there are certain circumstances where a police department may withhold a police report, especially in cases involving an ongoing investigation or where the release of information could compromise the investigation. However, as the parent of a deceased child, you generally have the right to access the police report related to your child's death, unless specific legal exceptions apply.

If the police department is refusing to release the report, it's advisable to inquire about the specific reasons for this decision. There may be aspects of the case or legal considerations that are influencing their decision.

In this situation, seeking legal assistance can be very helpful. An attorney can help you understand your rights and guide you through the process of obtaining the police report. They can also assist in determining if the police department's refusal to release the report is in accordance with Kentucky law and what steps can be taken if it is not. In such sensitive and potentially complex cases, having professional legal support is crucial to ensure your rights are respected and you receive the information you are entitled to.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.