Marana, AZ asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Arizona

Q: my wife was assaulted by a tenant who refused to pay rent. the assailant threw vinegar in my wife's eyes.

emt's worked on my wife's eyes for half an hour and wanted to take her to the hospital. the cops wanted to arrest my wife and the assailant. its a tactic to not have to do any work. the racist hispanic cop took my id to run it (why?) he came back with a hostile attitude. I'm a felon, and a combat veteran. He acted like I was the criminal. He walked in every room in my house without my permission. The criminal stole my wife's coach purse, which had her methadone and 90 klonopin. The biased, inept cop went in the room she was squatting in for 3 minutes, came back out and said no purse, but I couldn't go in there. I own the property. After they told her she had to go (I explained to them that if she attacked my wife again, or attacked me i would incapacitate her to where she wasnt a threat anymore, so they decided to take her to a hotel. we entered the room after they left, found my wife's purse in 5 minutes, minus the controlled substances.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, where your wife was assaulted by a tenant and the responding law enforcement officers' actions were questionable, there are several steps you can take. First, it's important to document everything: the assault, the treatment your wife received from the EMTs, the interaction with the police, and the discovery of the stolen items.

You have the right to file a formal complaint against the officer if you believe their conduct was inappropriate or biased. This can be done through the police department's internal affairs division or a civilian oversight board, if available.

Regarding the assault and theft, it's crucial to follow up with the police department or the district attorney's office to ensure that the case is being properly investigated and that charges are pressed against the assailant.

If you feel your rights were violated during the police search of your home, consider consulting with a lawyer who specializes in civil rights or police misconduct. They can advise you on the legality of the search and any potential action you can take.

For the stolen medication, report the theft to the police and your wife's healthcare provider. They can guide you on the steps to take for replacing the medication and dealing with the theft.

Given the complexity of the situation, including the assault, the police conduct, and the theft of medication, legal guidance is advisable to navigate your rights and the appropriate actions to take. Remember, the law is there to protect your rights and ensure justice is served.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.