Birmingham, AL asked in Family Law and Civil Rights for Alabama

Q: Would the cops be able to do anything if the girl looks for the guy and the cops are involved by the girls parents?

19 year old girl. 18 year old boy. Parents of girl don’t want the guy with their daughter and threaten to call the cops on him if he keeps looking for her . Even go as far as to threaten the guy that they will say the guy raped their daughter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Alabama, if both individuals involved are legal adults (the girl being 19 and the boy being 18), they are generally free to make their own decisions regarding whom they choose to associate with. The police typically would not intervene in such a situation unless there is evidence of a crime or a court order, such as a restraining order, is in place.

If the girl’s parents falsely accuse the boy of a crime like rape, this could be a serious matter. Making a false police report is a crime in itself, and such accusations can have significant legal consequences.

The boy, in this case, should document any threats or false statements made by the girl’s parents. If the situation escalates or if a false accusation is made, it may be wise to seek legal counsel to protect his rights and interests.

It’s important for both parties to understand their rights and the potential consequences of their actions. In situations involving threats or false accusations, legal advice is often crucial to navigate the complexities and protect oneself legally.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.