Park Ridge, IL asked in Education Law for Michigan

Q: If a parent request a child be moved to another teachers class and the school refuses, is there anything the parent can?

The teacher has a very odd relationship with my daughter that me and my wife are not ok with and have asked for her to be put in another class. Not only did the principal refuse but so did the superintendent.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In situations where a parent's request to change their child's class is refused by a school, there are still steps that can be taken. First, it's important to document all concerns and the reasons for the request in writing. This creates a formal record of your concerns and the actions you've taken.

If the initial request is denied, consider requesting a meeting with the school officials involved, including the principal and superintendent, to discuss your concerns in more detail. During this meeting, clearly express why you believe a change is necessary for your child's well-being and educational experience.

If the situation remains unresolved, you may explore the school district's policies on parental concerns and student placement. Most districts have specific procedures for addressing parental complaints and requests.

If the issue involves concerns about the teacher's conduct or the child's safety, it might be necessary to escalate the matter. You can contact the school board or district administration to express your concerns. In some cases, involving a child advocate or legal counsel can help navigate the process and ensure your concerns are taken seriously.

Remember, as a parent, you have a right to advocate for your child's educational environment. Persistence and clear communication are key in these situations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.