Kansas City, MO asked in Constitutional Law for Colorado

Q: My friend got detained and held against his will for possessing a bb gun. He also had almost every police officer on him

What should he do it was over a year ago that this happened. Statue of limitations???

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Colorado, the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit related to wrongful detention or excessive force by police officers can vary depending on the specific nature of the claim. Generally, for civil rights violations, the statute of limitations could range from one to three years, but it's important to confirm the exact timeframe based on the details of the incident.

Since the incident involving your friend occurred over a year ago, it's crucial to act promptly. The first step should be to consult with an attorney experienced in constitutional law or civil rights. They can provide guidance on whether the statute of limitations is still applicable in your friend's case and what legal options are available.

The attorney can also help your friend understand his rights and the potential outcomes of any legal action. It's important to gather all relevant information and evidence related to the incident, as this will be critical in building a case. Remember, navigating legal processes can be complex, and professional guidance is essential to ensure that your friend's rights are adequately represented and protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.