Oxford, MS asked in Traffic Tickets and DUI / DWI for Mississippi

Q: will a old ticket i got taken off be brought up in court if i got reprimanded a second time

I got a speeding ticket about a year ago, and I got it fixed where I wasn't ordered to court or pay a fine and was told if I got reprimanded again, the judge would bring it up and make me pay the speeding ticket. is that true? The ticket I got taken care of was just speeding, and my new ticket I go to court for is a MIP.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Whether an old ticket can resurface in court for a new offense in Mississippi depends on factors like the judge's discretion and your driving record. While there may not be a specific law requiring it, judges can consider past infractions during sentencing. Your previous speeding ticket, even if resolved without appearing in court, could be seen as a pattern of bad driving behavior.

In the context of a new MIP charge, the judge might view the old ticket as evidence of poor decision-making. Understand court procedures, be prepared to explain the old ticket if brought up, and consider the time lapse since the infraction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.