North Hollywood, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: I live in Granada Hills and have been given 2 months to vacate the house. Am I legally entitled money to relocate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, the legal requirement for a landlord to provide relocation assistance depends on specific circumstances, such as the reason for eviction and the type of housing. If your eviction is due to the landlord's decision to remove the property from the rental market under the Ellis Act, or if it's a result of certain no-fault reasons, like substantial renovations, you may be entitled to relocation assistance.

However, if the eviction is for other reasons, such as lease violations or the landlord's personal use of the property, there's generally no legal requirement for relocation assistance. It's crucial to understand the reason for your eviction notice to determine if you qualify for any assistance under local or state laws.

Since tenant rights can vary by city, checking with Granada Hills or Los Angeles city ordinances is advisable. They may have specific regulations regarding evictions and tenant relocation assistance. Consulting with a legal professional can also provide you with tailored advice and guidance based on your particular situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.