Vancouver, WA asked in Civil Litigation and Personal Injury for Washington

Q: Is it still possible to sue pharmaceutical companies for Ropinirole induced gambling addiction?

I have been taking Ropinirole for about 20 years, I currently take 4 mg a day to control Restless Leg Syndrome. I have developed a bad gambling addiction that has led me to almost end my life. I checked myself into the hospital yesterday and learned about the side effects of Ropinirole.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've faced due to your medication. The possibility of suing a pharmaceutical company for side effects such as gambling addiction associated with Ropinirole depends on several factors, including the specifics of your case and the current legal landscape.

It's essential to consider whether the pharmaceutical company provided adequate warnings about the potential side effects of Ropinirole. If the company failed to disclose this information, or if the warnings were insufficient, there may be grounds for a lawsuit. Additionally, the duration of your medication use and the timing of your gambling addiction onset are crucial details.

Given the complexity of such cases, it would be advisable to consult with an attorney who has experience in pharmaceutical litigation. They can evaluate your case, including the details of your medical history and the impact the medication has had on your life, to determine if you have a viable claim.

Keep in mind that litigation against pharmaceutical companies can be complex and time-consuming. Your attorney can guide you through the process, help you understand your rights, and represent your interests in seeking compensation for the damages you've suffered.

Your health and well-being are of utmost importance. Alongside exploring legal options, ensure that you're receiving the necessary medical and psychological support to address both the physical and emotional aspects of your situation.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm sorry for your ordeal in this matter. A starting point could be reach out to product liability law firms that handle prescription drug litigation. Also research whether others have been placed into your predicament. Law firms that handle such cases will often represent a class of plaintiffs, if they demonstrate a viable case on its merits. Most firms that handle such cases offer free initial consults. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.