Oakland, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Is the new landlord on the hook for issues and repairs that the pervious landlord failed to address?

The building was recently sold in October 2023

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, when a property changes ownership, the new landlord typically inherits the responsibility for addressing any existing issues and repairs that were not resolved by the previous landlord. This includes adhering to state and local housing codes that ensure the property is habitable and safe for tenants.

If you are facing unresolved issues in your rental property that existed before the sale, you have the right to request the new landlord to address these problems. It's important to communicate your concerns in writing, detailing the specific issues and any prior attempts to get them resolved with the previous landlord.

Remember, California law protects tenants' rights to a habitable living environment. This means your landlord is obligated to maintain the property in a condition that is safe and livable. If the new landlord fails to make necessary repairs, you may have legal options, including withholding rent or repairing and deducting the cost, though these actions should be taken with caution and ideally under legal advice.

It's advisable to consult with a legal professional who can provide guidance based on the specifics of your situation and help ensure your rights as a tenant are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.