San Diego, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: landlord forged my name on lease for home rental then used it court as evifenve to evict. i origional lease

he also purjred himself in court

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, forging a signature on a lease agreement is a serious offense. It constitutes fraud and potentially forgery, both of which are criminal acts. If your landlord forged your signature on a lease and then used that document in court to obtain an eviction, this is not only a breach of civil law but also a criminal matter.

Your immediate step should be to gather any evidence that supports your claim, including the original lease that you signed. If there are discrepancies between the original lease and the one presented in court, this could serve as crucial evidence.

You have the right to report this matter to the police for investigation into the forgery and perjury. Additionally, you may want to file a complaint with the California Department of Real Estate if your landlord is a licensed real estate professional.

It's highly advisable to consult with a lawyer who has experience in tenant rights and fraud. They can guide you through the process of challenging the eviction and holding your landlord accountable for their actions. Legal advice is crucial in such cases, as they often involve complex legal procedures and require a thorough understanding of your rights and obligations under the law.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.