Van Nuys, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: The heir of my decease landlord are selling the house which I'm renting a room, Do I have a rights for moving expense?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer
  • Long Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can check with the city or county housing department where you live. There are probably rules in place to give you some assistance.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, your rights as a tenant do not automatically include compensation for moving expenses when your landlord's heirs decide to sell the property. However, certain cities in California have local ordinances that may provide relocation assistance to tenants under specific circumstances, such as in rent-controlled jurisdictions.

It's important to check the local laws of the city where the property is located. For instance, in cities like San Francisco or Los Angeles, there are specific conditions under which tenants may be entitled to relocation assistance.

If your rental is not in a city with such ordinances, generally, the new owners must honor the existing lease terms. If you are on a month-to-month lease, California law requires that landlords provide 60 days' notice to vacate if you've lived in the rental for more than one year, and 30 days' notice if less than one year.

Regardless of your situation, it's advisable to communicate with the heirs or the new owners about your concerns. Sometimes, landlords may offer moving assistance as a goodwill gesture, especially in the case of a sale.

If you're unsure about your rights or the local ordinances, consider consulting with a local attorney or tenant rights organization. They can provide specific guidance based on the details of your situation and the location of the property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.