Q: How to file appeal in juvenile court? How to file motion to dismiss in juvenile court? What are process/outcome of each?

I am parent to children involved in juvenile court due to alleged neglect. Other parent is my spouse, we are separate parties in case. Appeal rationale?: shelter care hearing occurred without prior knowledge of process of proceedings or contents of petition, given copy of petition as court began. Children had GAL appointed and present, we had counsel appointed, but not present. I hired attorney for myself. Spouse has original PD. Next court date was set as status hearing. Can temporary ruling be made at shelter care without attorneys present? It's been 6 months and 5 hearings have been scheduled, all continued, 2/5 due to GAL not there. 4 months since adjuctictory set. Adjuctictory was continued for 59 days but set to a status hearing. That status hearing was continued for 20 days and coming up, but no set adjuctictory hearing, no opportunity to defend or give evidence to a petition with false and missing info, but our family suffers as if temporary ruling is final& forced compliance

1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You said you hired a lawyer. These questions are complicated and your lawyer should be answering them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.