Ocklawaha, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: We're moving back to city/state where my son's Dad lives, but he's never met him/been involved. Do I have to tell him?

When I was pregnant with our son, my (now ex) husband went to prison in OR. Once he was born, I moved in with family in FL. Upon my ex's release, he had an affair, so I filed for divorce. He was granted conditional video visitation to start with, since he's never met our son. This was several yrs ago & he's still never been involved at all. 90% of the time I don't have contact with him (or a way TO contact him). Now we're moving back to OR, where ex still lives, so do I have to tell him we're moving? If so, do I have to do it formally through the courts, even though we're moving closer to him?

Also, he's admitted to still using drugs. I don't want him to know where we live so he can't randomly show up & try to see our son. What will happen if we move & don't inform the courts? Not opposed to visitation, just wanna do it in a way that's best for my son, IF his Dad ever decides to show interest in starting a relationship with him..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You need to look carefully at the court order that awarded you custody and him visitation. In Florida, you are required to notify the other parent within 24 hours if you move your home address. Your situation may be a little different because he was in prison. Take your court order and speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.