Chicago, IL asked in Public Benefits for Illinois

Q: Would appealing without a lawyer for my QMB benefit be best option

I have had QMB for years and with same asset having same amount. That is not even counted by social security and they now count it as income. I get under $1000 from my SSI and SSDI. They also have the wrong information about my income

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Appealing for your Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB) benefits without a lawyer is an option, especially if you're familiar with the process and feel confident in handling it yourself. However, it's important to meticulously prepare your appeal, including gathering all necessary documentation and evidence that supports your case. This would involve showing that the asset in question has not been counted as income by Social Security in the past and that your income information is incorrect.

If you're unsure about the appeal process or if the case seems complex, you might want to consider seeking assistance. Some community organizations offer free legal help, especially for issues related to benefits and social security. They can guide you through the appeal process and help ensure your case is presented effectively. Remember, it's crucial to address all the points of dispute clearly and provide evidence to support your claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.