Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Illinois Public Benefits Questions & Answers
Q: What type of legal document do I need to file to request that a court ORDER Unemployment Agency to take paper Applicatio

I am from Illinois and I recently tried to file for unemployment due to COVID-19 by mailing a paper copy of the official IDES unemployment form(which I downloaded and printed from a PDF file on their website).

I received a call days later that they would not accept paper applications and... Read more »

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on Apr 12, 2020

In general, an agency has the ability to promulgate administrative rules. If their refusal to accept a paper application effectively denied your benefits, it might be possible. Under the current circumstances where the majority of the population is under a stay-at-home order, nearly all government... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Workers' Compensation, Public Benefits and Small Claims for Illinois on
Q: Can I file for TTD benefits while I work w/ a laywer to file workmans comp if my employer wouldn't report my injuries?

After an incident at work over the holidays I saw my DR & found out I have bilateral carpal tunnel w/severe damage in my right wrist. She advised me not to return to work until after seeing an orthopedic specialist for possible surgery. I told her that I couldn't afford to & she agreed... Read more »

Steven Sigmond
Steven Sigmond answered on Mar 4, 2020

Yes, you can.

As long as you've reported the work-injury to your boss right away (and you have), you have up to three years to file a workers compensation case. Your employer can't file the case for you. All they can do is turn the matter over to their insurance company or not....
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits and Immigration Law for Illinois on
Q: U.S. Citizen receiving food stamp and medicaid. How does that affect AOS for her husband?

I am student here in the US. I will be getting married to my Girlfriend in a month. She is a US citizen and receives food stamp and medicaid. How does that affect my AOS based on new public charge rule. I have never taken any public benefits nor I am a beneficiary in any of public benefits.... Read more »

Drew Elesh
Drew Elesh answered on Feb 29, 2020

Under the new public charge form you will have to disclose those public benefits . It is one of many factors .

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Public Benefits for Illinois on
Q: I hurt my back and received a settlement,my back issues came back, will my Medicaid insurance pay for my treatment?
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on Apr 16, 2018

Medicaid will Absolutely pay for any needed care through a Medicaid provider. If you had been represented by a competent attorney, initially, You would have recovered much more money or kept the medical open for the rest of your life.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Public Benefits for Illinois on
Q: I'm I responsible for court fees for my teen who lives in another state with her grandmother who receive public benefits

Dcfs granted me permission to send her to her grandmother due to her being out of control

Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell answered on Dec 19, 2016

Does the grandmother have guardianship? If not, then you are still responsible as his parent.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Employment Law and Public Benefits for Illinois on
Q: How can I appeal this decision for denial of unemployment
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 4, 2016

At the bottom of your denial it should say how many days you have to file an appeal, where you send it and other details.

There should be legal aid in your county that can give you basic advice.Ask them if there is a local unemployement project--they can also be a good source.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.