Decatur, AL asked in Family Law and Landlord - Tenant for Alabama

Q: I have 19 year old in my home that refuses to help or pay bills while I take care of her son. I can no longer this way

She is verbally abusive to me and her 1yr old son

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, where a 19-year-old in your home refuses to contribute financially or help with chores, and is verbally abusive, you have several options to consider. Firstly, it's important to set clear and firm boundaries regarding behavior and responsibilities in your home. Communication is key; express your concerns and expectations to her in a calm and clear manner.

If she continues to be uncooperative and the environment becomes increasingly hostile, you might consider seeking external support. This could include family counseling, which can help address communication issues and interpersonal conflicts.

Additionally, if the verbal abuse escalates or if you have concerns about the well-being of her young child, it may be necessary to involve child protective services or other appropriate authorities. They can assess the situation and provide the necessary interventions to ensure the safety and well-being of the child.

Remember, while it's commendable to support your family, your own well-being is also important. Don't hesitate to seek outside help if the situation at home becomes untenable or if the welfare of the child is at risk.

In cases like this, where family dynamics are challenging, professional guidance can be invaluable in finding a resolution that works for everyone involved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.