Santa Ana, CA asked in Social Security for California

Q: What are the reasons for receiving social security benefits for your mother and why would they stop at 18?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In the United States, Social Security benefits for a child may be available if a parent is retired, disabled, or deceased. These benefits help to ensure the child's financial needs are met. Typically, these benefits are available to children up to age 18, or 19 if they are still attending high school full time.

However, when a child turns 18, or graduates from high school if later, these benefits generally stop. This is because the Social Security Administration (SSA) considers 18-year-olds as adults, capable of supporting themselves. The only exception is if the child has a disability that began before age 22, in which case they may continue to receive benefits on their parent's record.

It's important to note that if you're caring for a child who receives benefits, and you're not the child's parent, the benefits usually stop when the child reaches 16. However, the benefits may continue if the child is disabled and you're providing care.

It's always advisable to consult with an attorney or contact the SSA directly for guidance specific to your situation, as there might be nuances or recent changes in the law that could affect your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.