Bangor, ME asked in Criminal Law and Legal Malpractice for Maine

Q: What should I do when a lawyer knows that my case could've been won?

I had an attorney for another law firm tell me that when they worked for my trial lawyer they looked at my case and they told me that my trial lawyer "screwed me over". my trial lawyer filed a motion to suppress evidence but never showed up, the motion was because I was held at MMC in portland in a conference room by a security guard who was deputized by Maine State Police to not let me go anywhere and the guard openly told my trial lawyer this information and even my Private investigator. I filed post convictions which one was thrown out by the appellate court because the superior court failed to attach a lawyer to it and the second my post-conviction lawyer didn't know how to fight it/

1 Lawyer Answer
Hunter J Tzovarras
Hunter J Tzovarras pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bangor, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: The procedure for challenging a conviction due to errors by trial counsel is a post-conviction review for ineffective assistance of counsel. Once the post-conviction process is final in the State court, you can file a petition for review in the federal court. There are strict time limits for filing such petitions in the federal court. Generally speaking, a person has 1 year to file a federal habeas petition after the State court judgment is final. The time the case is pending on appeals in the State court is excluded from this time period. You should consult with a federal habeas petition lawyer regarding these time-limits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.