Birmingham, AL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Alabama

Q: I have questions my child father basically sees my kids when he wants to & when he asks to see them and i decide not to

He tries to call the police who do i talk to for this problem ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In dealing with the issue of your child's father seeing the kids inconsistently and involving the police when visitation is denied, it's important to have a clear understanding of your legal rights and obligations. If there is a custody agreement or court order in place, it's crucial to follow the terms outlined in that document. If the father's visitation rights are specified, denying access could lead to legal complications for you.

If there is no formal agreement or court order, it's advisable to establish one. This can be done through family court. A formal agreement or court order will provide clear guidelines for both parents regarding visitation rights and schedules.

In the meantime, if the father calls the police during a dispute over visitation, the police will typically check to ensure the children's safety but may not intervene in custody disputes without a court order.

For guidance specific to your situation, consider consulting with a family law attorney. An attorney can help you understand your rights and assist in creating or modifying a custody agreement that works in the best interest of your children.

Remember, it's important to address these issues legally and formally to avoid ongoing conflicts and ensure the well-being of your children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.