Birmingham, AL asked in Criminal Law for Alabama

Q: I have received a letter from the district attorney from another county that I don’t live in telling me that if I don’t

The letter states that if I don’t pay the court, ordered restitution, or set up payments that there may be a warrant issued for my arrest. My question is if I refuse to pay this restitution, which I feel like I was tricked into signing an agreement to pay this will they come to a different county to arrest me on just failure to pay restitution that was court ordered by a judge or if I avoid going to that county will I never have to worry about being arrested for this

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Travis T Juneau
Travis T Juneau
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: If the issuing county will extradtie or not is upto that particular county. Traditionally, it depends on why the warrant was issued. In this instance, it is likely that a show cause hearing would be set before a finding of contempt for failure to pay (a violation of the Court's order). Alabama law does allow district attorneys offices to establish restiution recovery units that will add fees to the ammount owed and will take steps to garnish wages, tax returns and seize bank accounts. Thus, even if the county chooses not to extradtie, it is likely that they will take necessary steps to get the money. Additionaly, even if the county chooses not to extradite, having an active warrant will make every future interaction with law enforcement exponentially worse. Therefore, you need to ensure that the treat is legitimate and the terms of your agreement enforceable and then determine what steps if any should be taken next.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.