Milwaukee, WI asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: I have a brother that is mentally ill and is being abused by his mom and my dad In Illinois. What can be done?

He was abandoned by his mom and left on the street of California as a small child. He then became ward of the state of California. He was living in a facility in California called Laurel behavioral health his whole life up until the age of 46. That’s when his mom and my dad got the bright idea to go and reclaim parental rights of him and move him out of the facility to her home in Illinois. His mom threw all his medication away without consulting medical professionals. She has forcefully taken him off smoking cigarettes. She neglects him, rejects him, talks bad about him to his face. She leaves him home alone with no supervision. He has gotten indecent exposure citations by the police for masturbating in her front law and the neighbors called the police. He get slapped. He doesn’t have health insurance nor has he been to the doctor since being in her care. She buys him nothing and give him no money. And she is blind. So he has no one taking care of him. What are his rights. I need help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Goldberg
Michael Goldberg
  • Libertyville, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If you believe your brother is being abused, you should first call the police and file a police report. His parents have guardianship of him at the moment, but that can be ended by the court that oversees guardianship. If you wish to become his guardian to make decisions for him, you can petition the court to appoint you guardian and to remove his parents as guardian.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.